Aftercare for Water-Damaged Items
Even the most prepared household can experience water in the home. If your residence in Concord, CA, has been impacted by water damage, there are steps you can take to restore your belongings.
Keep these tips in mind as you begin the cleanup:
• Prioritize where to start. If any possessions need mending, wait until they are completely dry before attempting to fix them. However, if water damage is due to a broken pipe, repair it as soon as possible.
• Gently use more water to rinse wet things. Be sure to use fresh water when cleaning, changing as frequently as necessary.
• Avoid sunshine and warmth on your objects. They may cause further damage from the abrupt change in temperature.
• Decrease humidity by creating airflow through any means necessary: fans, dehumidifiers, the breeze from open windows, etc. This can reduce water in your home, help pieces dry faster, and lower the risk of mold.
Suggestions for Specific Items
Certain belongings may need special treatment. Try these techniques for the following items:
• Objects made of fibers like yarn or wool should be air-dried to avoid shrinking. Natural elements such as wood or leather should also be air-dried to prevent warping.
• If paper items (including photographs) are stuck together, submerge them in fresh water to help them disengage. Be very careful to avoid contact on any picture images to avoid smudging and additional deterioration. Once they are separated, lay them out face-up on absorbent towels so they can dry.
• You may need to contact a conservationist to save any water-damaged appliances, electronics, or fabric-covered furniture. If there are any markings or “halos” on painted or finished items, consult a restoration specialist for assistance on how to treat and preserve them.
Acknowledge that some items may not be salvageable or may require professional attention to the rescue. Saving your upholstery may be as simple as a good dry cleaning, depending on the level of water in the home. Before discarding anything valuable or sentimental, you may want to contact an expert just in case.